[filmscanners] Re: Linotype Saphir on a PC

> What you have not told us clearly is if the scanner is turned on prior
> to your booting up Win ME or if you turn it on after the boot up.  If
> the latter is the case, you will need to manually go to the Control
> Panel's Device Manager and refresh the scan of the SCSI card with the
> Linotype-Hell scanner turned on to get it recognized.  You do this by
> fist selecting any of the devices in the device manager and then click
> on the Refresh Button. If this is not the problem or if it does not
> work for you, you can try changing the SCSI device ID # for the
> scanner which can be changed via a control on the scanner itself
> and/or try changing the location of the the SCSI card in terms of the
> PCI slot that it occupies.

Laurie:

I have both this scanner and the other device on the chain fully
booted up before I start the computer. I have tried three different
SCSI ID numbers so far and two different slots for the host card.

> Of course all the suggestions above assume you have the SCSI chain
> terminated correctly and that the total length of the chain in terms
> of the distance of the wires is not beyond the recommended limit.
> SCSI chains all have recommended limits as to the total length of
> cable that can be used in the connection of external devices to the
> card and each other; if you go beyond that length, recognition and
> functionality of the devices on the chain can become problematic.

To my knowledge, these things are all correct. There is total of six
feet of cable in the chain and the terminator is correct. Both
devices on the chain function perfectly. However, as I said, I can't
get the Linotype scanner to stay installed.

Brian Yarvin
Stockphotos for agencies around the world from Edison, NJ
http://www.brianyarvin.com