[filmscanners] Re: Next Cycle of Scanner Tech

Laurie writes:

> Some want to call it progress, others will call
> it Capitalism and "conspicuous consumption."

In my experience, it is usually a fascination with equipment, as opposed to
what the equipment produces.  Someone who is constantly looking forward to
the next version of a piece of gear is probably not using the current
version; if he were, then the headaches and overhead of "upgrading" to a
newer version would make the contemplation of future versions decidedly
unpleasant.

When you aren't doing anything with your equipment, it's fun to upgrade it
and look forward to better and better versions of the equipment in the
future.  But when you are constantly and actively using your equipment,
upgrades and future versions are tremendous pains in the rear that interrupt
your work and cost you money, and you tend to avoid them as much as
possible.