[filmscanners] Re: Switch from Win98SE to XP?

Tomek writes:

> Is there any advantage in upgrading from Win
> 98SE to Win XP Home Edition regarding filmscanning
> and dealing with large files and using Photoshop?

Yes.  XP is based on the NT codebase, which is a zillion times better than
the Windows 9x codebase.  I run XP Home Edition on the PC I use for scanning
and Photoshop, and it works great (with 1.5 GB of memory, the most I could
configure on the hardware).

The Windows 9x family has all sorts of problems: poor memory management,
very poor task management, no security, no file system integrity, and so on.

> I'm about to rebuild my system completely, it's
> a good opportunity to change OS, but I don't want
> to do it only to have a new OS, there should be a
> reason fot it.

The best rule to follow is to never fix what isn't broken, but if you are
truly starting from scratch, XP or one of the NT systems (NT/2000/XP) would
be a better choice than any flavor of Windows 9x.