[filmscanners] File size in PS?

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] File size in PS?
  • From: "Nagaraj, Ramesh" <RAMESH.NAGARAJ@ca.com>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jul 2002 11:43:32 -0400

Hi,

At maximum resolution, single pass, my Minolta Elite II generates 35.MB TIFF
file.
If I open the above file in PS and do a "SaveAs"(with LZW compression), file
size increases. I do not know why?

Here are details.

Vuescan file size- 35MB
PS "SaveAs" with LZW - 56MB
PS "SaveAs" without LZW - 66MB

I looked at the Explorer/Properties/Summary for both Vuescan file & PS file.
The changes are as follows.

****** Vuescan file summary (Looked using Explorer/Properties/Summary) *****
Compression-
Lempel-Ziv with Tiff Horizontal differ...
File size- 34.7mb

*** PS "SaveAs" file summary (Looked using Explorer/Properties/Summary) ****
Compression- Lempel-Ziv
File Size- 66MB

So the difference between the two is; PS uses Lempel-Ziv "Lempel-Ziv Horizontal
differ..." compression while Vuescan follows "Lempel-Ziv" compression.

I tried using VuePrint for compression, it reduced the 34MB file to around 20MB.

My questions are
a) Why the "SaveAs" in PS increses the file size?
b) "VuePrint" for file compressses more than PS & "VueScan";  Does it mean
"VuePrint" use latest LZW technology which PS6.0 does not implernent?

Any thoughts about this is welcome. I do not worry about the price of the CDs
but I worry about the numbers.
Thanks
Ramesh

********* I had sent this mail earlier, but it was not reaching the list; so