[filmscanners] RE: Monitor calibration offer, kind of OT

Oh yeah,I just run through it. :-)
Recently I purchased Monaco device with the EZMonacoColor calibration
software (ver. 2.0)
Just prior to establishing my permanent image processing machine I used my
work's antique laptop
(Celeron 333, 192 MB memory - very slow performance) hooked to my LS 40 and
running NikonScan 3.1.2 through TWAIN from PS6.
After acquiring new monitor (Iiyama VM Pro 454) I started to get kind of
magenta casting over all the scans which was not easy to get rid of in PS.
Sometimes the colors seemed to be off as well.

I struggled a lot with Nikon's CMS blaming their software, until realized
that perhaps I should look in other directions instead. Listening to advises
of some of my friends who are more experienced image editors then me, I
decided to try out to calibrate my monitor first and won the device on the
Ebay.
Meanwhile I managed to build my dream PC to serve as main image processing
station choosing the graphics card which would be the best price/performance
compromise for me which turned to be
Matrox G550 DH. This one is reported to deliver the best 2D performance from
all others available, however lugs behind GF4 in 3D which I don't care about
(I'm not a gamer).
After Matrox drivers installation I immediately noticed huge improvement in
color reproduction straight from the plain scan with Nikon's CMS on. (Matrox
offered numerous monitor profiles for various monitors including the Iiyama
which was he closest match to my model. Perhaps this allowed the true color
reproduction).
In fact I felt I would be fine even without monitor calibration now, but
since owing the device already I did it.
Well, it took a mere 10 minutes for everything to be done including
automatic installation of the new profile into the system.
The colors remained as it was before which means the Matrox offered profile
did already the job.

However, the friend of mine who is user of Monaco device as well, noticed
immediate benefit of his monitor calibration - the profile allowed to
achieve much better and true colors and even was able to match printing.
So the bottom line, I would recommend this thing.

Regards,
Alex Z