[filmscanners] purchasing a scanner

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] purchasing a scanner
  • From: "Erin Malick" <erin_malick@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2002 17:52:23 -0400

Howard--thanks for the prompt response to my questions of last week. I got
sidetracked with the holiday and wasn't able to answer your questions until
now--sorry!! Anyhow, if you're still there, my questions were as follows and
I've indicated answers below that:

My questions:
I'm just starting my research into buying a scanner, and I'd like to get
some advice from people who've been using them for a while. I've been
shooting color slides and want to be able to make prints myself, as well as
use Photoshop to edit them. What do I need to know about the Photoshop
software I already have, and about the printer I already have, to be sure I
buy a compatible scanner? What specs should I not skimp on, when deciding
between scanners?

My answers to Howard's questions:
I have a Canon BJC-2100 Series Color Bubble Jet Printer, so I'd be limited
to printing 8x10s. I am definitely not to the professional point, so just
'high quality but amateur' with my current highest goal of entering shows.
If this printer is not at all good for printing scans, I would consider
purchasing a new one. Recommendations would be most appreciated.

I'm shooting with a Pentax K1000 primarily with a 28-300mm lens and a macro
lens, both of which were pretty expensive.

It's hard to say whether I'd be scanning large or small quantities of
slides, since that's subjective. Ideally it would be more over time... Right
now I'm lucky if I can get shoot a roll a week.

As for budget, I don't want to spend a decent amount on something that's
still not good enough, if I could spend just a little extra to get something
alot better. I'd like to hear the most appropriate recommendations (without
much consideration to budget) first, and then downscale from there by
subtracting features that I wouldn't need as much. I also realize that it
could actually become cost-saving if I print my own pictures rather than
taking them for custom processing.

Thanks!