From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>
To: <james@jamesgrove.co.uk>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2002 11:12 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] Image archiving and managing software

Hi all.
After I finally established by image processing and archiving PC system,
it's time to get some nice and useful image archiving and managing software
to keep track of my image database and easily manageable archive.
I would be grateful to anyone advising on this point.
My system consist of:
PC running Win2000 Pro.
Scanners: Nikon LS40.
Image scanning software - NikonScan ver 3.1.2 used as TWAIN through PS7.
Image editing software - PS7.

The strategy I was considering as follows:
1. All archiving-worth images are stored in JPEG format (after PS tweaking
is necessary and resizing). The file size - up to 200k per image.

2. High-quality images from above, potentially intended for future printing
and enlargement -
   scanned at 12 bit/pixel resolution (up to ~60 MB file) tweaked in PS (if
necessary)
   while keeping track of PS editing done to this particular image (for
reversibility if
   if possible).
   Images are stored as either TIFF 16 bit or PSD files.

The achieve will be stored on local HDDs, back up on remote (USB2.0
accessible) HDD and CDs.

Your comments are welcome.

Regards,
Alex Z