[filmscanners] RE: Black and white scans onLS4000EDandotherissues

Hi Todd,

> Most of the sources I've seen discuss the Callier effect show the same neg
> printed through the two light sources. Unfortunately, what they've done is
> taken a neg that was tailored to print well on a coldlight and printed it
> with a condenser, then claim the highlights burn out...DUH.
> Likewise if they
> print a neg that was tailored to a condenser and print it with a coldlight
> it will look flat.

Well, it has been well proven that you can get the same density range from
the same negative with a cold light or a point light source, using
appropriate exposure time, aperture and grade of paper (or filter), so that
is a non-issue.  The other issues are the "Callier effect", sharpness, dust,
scratches and tonality (dynamic range).

> the
> Callier effect is predicable, and in some cases useful, and can be
> compensated for as needed.

What about the limited depth of focus, as well as scratches and dust?  How
do you compensate for that?

> Not sure if depth of focus is of any real relevance.

Snark, snark...ask people who own Nikon scanners if depth of focus is an
issue or not ;-)

> Anyway, just my experience, not out to tell anyone theirs is wrong.

Understood.  Me too.

Austin