[filmscanners] Re: Black and white scans on LS4000 EDandotherissues

Actually, the issue isn't as clear cut as opinion or choice.

Diffused light does act more on diminishing the three dimensional stuff,
like dust, dirt and scratches moreso than grain.  This is because
diffused light sources bounce the photons around, and so they enter the
film at many angles, which literally allows them to get "around" small
objects like dust and dirt and even film base scratches.  The narrower
the layer of 'information" the less effect the diffused light will have.
  Therefore, the grain or dye cloud layers, which compromise a small
percentage of the full film thickness, especially when considering the
dust and dirt laying on top or beneath, will have much less softening
occurring.  So diffused light acts much less on grain than it does on
dust dirt or scratches.  SO, that's benefit one.

Secondly, collimated light amplifies aliasing.  That's not real grain we
are speaking of, but the grittiness created by aliasing due to the extra
  contrast and lack of anti-aliasing which diffused light can causes
around each grain.

What many report as "grain" is actually aliasing which, if anything, is
more of an error or defect, than the minor softening diffused light creates.

The small softening as a result of diffused lighting can be regained
with USM.  However, aliasing is not really removable once it becomes
part of the data.

The collimated light source the Nikon uses is not only creating problems
with defects showing up more (and in black and white films, since dICE
is not usable, this is a real chore to clean up) but it also (in the
case of the Nikon) also seems to be a factor in why their scanners have
such poor depth of field, not allowing for the full frame to be in focus
from center to edge.

I do not believe that the way collimated lighting is used in the Nikon
improves the final scan result in any manner.  I believe it adds to
grain aliasing (in both color and black and white, but moreso with the
later) adds to problem of limited DOF, forces one to use dICE (when one
can) (and possibly GEM, depending upon the degree of aliasing that
occurs) with many scans, and makes true black and white film nearly
impossible to scan without major cleanup work.  It also ends up with a
considerably more expensive scanner.

This is not just a trade off as you state with enlargers.  There are
many side-effects of collimated lighting, as described above.  My
enlarger came with double condenser and two different forms of diffused
lighting chambers, and I used them all, so I am not unfamiliar with the
choices and results.

If you were to state "some people prefer grain aliasing and doing a lot
of clean up work on black and white", then I'd say, yes, its a matter of
opinion, style and choice, but if you are pegging diffused lighting
(soft?) against Collimated (sharp?) images, I disagree, because I do not
believe the Nikon scans are actually sharper (once aliasing, which can
give a false perception of "sharper", has been removed).

I have provided several people with a non-corrected and non-spotted
black and white scan from the Polaroid 4000, to people who own or have
used Nikons with collimated light source, and the comments typically are:

It's sharp throughout the frame, unlike my Nikon

The tonality is very smooth

The grain isn't exaggerated like with my scanner

And that's often before any USM has been applied, which is needed with a
diffused and anti-aliased or defocused image.

PS: this is not an offer to send this sample file out, my IP provider
limits my upload speed and attachment size, and it was a real pain (it's
a big file)...

Art