[filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Wed 26 Jun, 2002

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: [filmscanners_Digest] filmscanners Digest for Wed 26 Jun, 2002
  • From: "James Norris" <jnorris@metronet.com>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 09:43:51 -0500

> Topic: Black and white scans on LS4000 ED and other issues
> Date: Tue, 25 Jun 2002 13:04:34 +0100
> From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
> I tried scanning some Delta 100 black and white negs on a Nikon LS4000 ED
> and the quality was awful, using either Nikon Scan 3.1.3 or Vuescan.  I
> tried scanning as monochrome, as colour and as colour positive and
inverting
> in Photoshop. In all cases the preview image looked fine but the actual
scan
> showed tiny white spots all over the images.
The spots are noise that may or may not be too small to appear in the
preview image.
I solve such problems by increasing the analog gain.
The problem only happens on my scanner in the darkest area where the signal
from the CCD is rather low.
What you are seeing is random noise.  Multiple pass processing might clear
up the problem.

> I can't seems to get a good black and white scan at all. Can anyone tell
me
> how to get good black and white scans?
>
> When scanning colour slides (Provia 100F and Kodak EBX 100) the scans have
> too much red in them.  Is this a facet of this scanner?
Not on my scanner.

> When scanning a strip of slides (or negs) in the strip film adapter, the
> left edge of the preview image and scanned image is not straight, it bows
in
> at the centre and into the image area.  Has anyone else seen this?  It is
> annoying as I had to crop a part of the image when I didn't actually want
> to.

Not on my scanner.  This sounds like an alignment problem in your scanner.
> Also, the preview in Nikon scan looks very clear whereas the actual
> completed scan image in the Nikon Scan window looks muddy and grainy, and
> you can see the white spots, that I mentioned above, on the image.

The signal from the CCD is too small.
Jim