[filmscanners] RE: Vuescan setting for "true neg?"

Ken,

maybe this can help. My workflow is to open the raw scan in Photoshop, use
Channel mixer command to extract only the green channel (which is the
sharpest from my Canon FS4000, YMMV), convert to grayscale mode and invert
the resulting image.
If the histogram is fine (i.e. it doesn't show clipping at either end of the
scale), with this workflow you have all the information that the scanner was
able to read from the negative, and you're free to tweak it any way you like
it (first step would be to set BP and WP using levels).
The only thing you have to be aware of is the profile that Photoshop assigns
to the raw file: after a correct installation of my scanner software and
Vuescan, PS automatically prompts me indicating a Canon FS4000 profile as a
source, so all I have to do is confirm the conversion to my workspace of
choice.

alessandro pardi