[filmscanners] Re: Density vs Dynamic range>AUSTIN (2a)

  • To: lexa@www.lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Density vs Dynamic range>AUSTIN (2a)
  • From: "Isidoro Orabona" <isiora02@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 15:33:42 +0200

Hi,

I am not interested in the question too much, but when I have read the last
message by Austin...

ALL USEFUL SIGNALS (= INFORMATION) ARE AC SIGNALS, "CONSTANT SIGNAL" IS ONLY
AN OFFSET.
This is true in "picture" domain too. Sound strange ?

Look at this example:

You are reading (maybe) this my e-mail. Well, you see pixels (apparently DC
signal) on the screen, but only the sequence of pixels with different
luminosity has sense for you. If you go away from the monitor, I could see
that the (spatial) frequency of this AC signal becames too high for your
sensor (your eye) and you cannot read anymore the words. What this example
means ? It means that I must ever model what I observe and what I am
interested to. For example, if I want listen to the music, I am not
interested to supersonic frequencies (another spectrum region, as Paul
wrote) then I can ignore the (S+N)/N ratio in this region. Incidentally,
this statement is used in audio to "model the noise".
However, yes, every single pixel of the CCD outputs a AC signal, a signal
that varies in function of the "luminosity", sampled by an sample&hold
mechanism and converted in digital by a ADC converter (the instrument that
misure it in given instant). If this AC signal is, for example, too low
compared with the termal noise in the CCD, it becames no more discernible
from the noise (the electrical SIGNAL in part generated  by the atomic
agitation, that is function of the temperature) in the region of interest.
Note that if I want misure the temperature with a CCD, could happen that the
noise is the signal and the signal is the noise. Obviously, the CCD isn't
the best temperature sensor... :-)

About the audio: the audio signal is ever nearly pure AC. On your hifi
speaker try a "DC signal", as a car battery, on the woofer, and look to what
happens... ;-)

Ciao,
Isidoro