[filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range

Hi Todd,

> > Which is true...as he says "as seen by the scanner"...and, some
> people take
> > that to mean  that slide film has more dynamic range, but the
> slide film in
> > fact has less dynamic range than negative film, though slide
> film does have
> > a higher density range.
>
> Could you elaborate on that? Since slide film has the greater
> density range
> than neg film, by your definition the only way it would have a
> lower dynamic
> range would be if it's "noise" were higher.

Slide film's discernability of tones is certainly lower than that of
negative film (this is pretty universally agreed upon, BTW)...which, in this
case, we are calling noise.

> What would constitute that
> noise?

I believe it's because of the negative films ability to record a higher
overall scene density range, it simply has more dynamic range, given the
same amount of noise in both.

> So please
> explain what you base your assertion on.

Actually, it's not my assertion, but something that has always just been a
given amongst professionals I have spoken with about this, and what I've
read.

Austin