[filmscanners] Re: Density vs Dynamic range

Austin,

This will be my last posting on this as we are (now) broadly in agreement.

One cause of the disagreement has been your use of terms that have had an
agreed understanding in the engineering world since long before scanners
in a non-standard way. I realise that you may have been "encouraged" into
this usage by the scanner industry, but it doesn't make it any less
confusing to the rest of us.

In engineering terms you are confusing dynamic range with signal-to-noise
ratio.

I will make one final comment. In the post, to which this is a reply, you

However, at 10:32 yesterday, you said:

> > However my point is that if you can reduce the noise level then you
> > can
> > increase the number of steps (by halving the step size) with real
> > benefit, but without altering the range.
>
> Correct, but that INCREASES the dynamic range.

Does not the first clip say "no increase of dynamic range" and the second
say "increases the dynamic range"?

I rest my case m'lud.

Peter, Nr Clonakilty, Co Cork, Ireland
(To avoid confusion, British born and educated - recent move to Ireland)