[filmscanners] Re: Scene brightness and CCDs

>Isn't that a curve issue if you say it's only in the mid tones?

Depends on what's in the extremes.  I use wide tonal range to determine where
to clip black and white points.

With film I'll capture a wide tonal range (using vuescan) then use photoshop
levels to set black and white points based on where detail is in the specific
scene and what I'm willing to have clipped (specular highlights, noisy black
background where shadow detail is unimportant or is distracting).  I may very
well use curve following this.

I would hope digicam raw files from the higher end equipment would offer this
capability to some degree.  And for normal (not raw) output one might possibly
be able to recover some useful extremes if digicam processing was s-curve-like,
not clipping.

Bob Shomler
www.shomler.com