From: "Laurie Solomon" <laurie@advancenet.net>
To: <anthony@atkielski.com>
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 06:34
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Density vs Dynamic range

I am not going to get into this highly technical discussion where I do not
belong as an active participant; however, I do have a question.  When you
say, "Resolution here is the number of discrete shades of R, G or B," are we
using the same term, "resolution," or using the term in the same way as when
we speak of "resolution" in terms of ppi, dpi, line pairs, or number of
pixels?  If so, I am confused since I did not think that this really had
anything to do with the number of discrete shades of R,G, or B but with the
number of R,G, and/or B pixels that there were regardless of the shade they
portrayed.  I further understood the number of discrete shades to be
represented by "bit depth" not "resolution."

If the term, "resolution," is not designated the same thing as indicated by
ppi, dpi, line pairs, and numbers of pixels but  is being used differently
or to designate something entirely different then knowing this is the case
would reduce my confusion and clarify the comments for this layman.