[filmscanners] Re: Scene brightness and CCDs

>> Are these blown highlights the result of poor
>> processing algorithms ...
>
> Yes, but it's not really poor processing so much as a compromise in
> processing.
>
> Unprocessed data from a CCD with maximal dynamic range would look very bland
> and low-contrast on most displays or paper, just as Wide Gamut RGB normally
> looks dull on a monitor, even though it has just about the largest gamut of
> any color space around.

Anthony

Thanks for your reply. Your take on this makes a lot of sense but for one
thing. It's not as though all gamma adjustments from the RAW captures need
to be straight line, such that in order to enhance the contrast and
saturation of the predominant tones of the image the ends need to be
clipped. Seems to me a good "S" curve algorithm could juice the midtones and
still keep the highlights and shadows from from blowing and blocking, no?

I guess I should ask my question in another way. Will the RAW captures from
these cameras hold detail at the extremes under conditions of large
brightness ranges? How many stops of brightness for the RAW captures?

Todd