From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Laurie Solomon
Sent: Saturday, May 25, 2002 6:00 PM
To: lodaniel@bham.rr.com
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Umax experience

>Have you tried Vuescan with your PLII

Yes, I bought a copy;amd found it does permit the Umax to work with Win
XP. However it is not a twain driver and does not allow the scanner to
be used from within applications like Photoshop, OmniForm, or OmniPage.
I did download a newer version of MagicScan for Win 2000; and as I noted
ot does provide a workable twain driver that will work with Photoshop
but not OmniPage or OmniForM for some reason.  The BinuScan application
within it does not work at all with Win XP.

> The problem with the old firmware in PLIII's with XP was that it
> caused multiple device manager entries for the scanner. The new
> Magicscan and a
> registry fix on the Umax site caused my scanner to be listed properly
> without the new firmware.

Interesting, I found that to be a known problem with every SCSI flatbed
scanner that I ever owned under both Win 98 and Win XP.  The version of
MagicScan which I downloaded for Win 2000 now produces the multiple
entries in Device Manager like previous versions; but, unlike previous
versions, it now registers in the Scanners and Cameras dialog box as
well.  In the Device Manager, it registers 7 instances of "Umax OL-II
SCSI Scanner Device" with no date and exclamation marks as well as one
instance of "Umax PowerLook II" without an exclamation mark and with a
1/11/2000 date.