[filmscanners] Re: Memory requirement for PC with scanner

> If a pc is used just for scanning (using some bundled software, eg.
> silverscan) would it scan as well if it has limited memory eg. 128 or
256Mb?

> Final image manipulation would be done on a different box with as much
memory
> as necessary.

I scan 35mm frames at 2820dpi / 16-bit, which gives ~60MB files.  This
generally gives no problems on my Win98 machine with 256MB.

*However*, using the ICE / ROC / GEM features of the scanner (Minolta Scan
Elite II) does seem to require more memory, as there is a fair bit of disk
thrashing going on towards the end of the process.  This occurs after the
scan head has stopped moving, but before the file is written.

Ian