[filmscanners] Re: Polaroid Dust and Scratch Removal

Well, they say necessity is the mother of invention, and that does
follow in this case.  I'm not saying that IR cleaning isn't a valuable
breakthrough, its just more valuable for some scanners than others.

It was the setback caused by Nikon's lighting design as resolutions
improved, that required either they change their lighting source, making
for a full revamp of their product, after considerable investment in
their design (which isn't just about having an LED versus a cold cathode
lighting method, but a completely unique CCD usage ( a single or triline
monochrome CCD versus a triline RGB filtered one), firmware (flashing
different colored lamps and taking separate CCD readings from the one
CCD line, versus taking simultaneous readings of three filtered CCD
lines), carriage movement (they went from moving the film to moving the
scanner module, and eventually going back to moving the film) or coming
up with another method of mediating exaggerated dust, dirt and scratch
"situation" (if you like that word better than "problem").

Maris V. Lidaka Sr. wrote:

> Yes, lengthy can be good, and it was a friendly and honorable "curmudgeon".

Yes, it was taken that way, hence as the ;-).

> In all honesty, I very much appreciate all of the detailed information you
> have provided over the years.  But I think your statement below about how IR
> cleaning firmware came to desktop indicates an improvement in software over
> the years, but not a Nikon scanner defect.

It was a circumstance which required something be done to make the
scanner usable.  Without IR cleaning, Nikon would have lost their
marketshare to scanners not manifesting this "feature" (Is that a better
word still?)  IR cleaning allowed Nikon to continue to produce a scanner
using their lighting technology.  It still has a "feature" of limited
DOF.  Even Nikon added diffusion lighting to their top of the line
LS8000 to deal with some of this.

If new LEDs or CCDs are made available at the right price which are
brighter, or more light sensitive without adding noise, the Nikon
lighting and associated designs may be able to integrate enough
diffusion and lens stop down to mitigate the "features" we have been
alluding to.  That might either mean they will no longer require an IR
cleaning system (thus lowering the price of production and licensing) or
it will be an extra bell and whistle rather than a required "feature".

Art