[filmscanners] Re: Flatbeds for 6x6 negs.

>I have found an Epson Expression 1680 Pro and a Umax Powerlook III (does
not
>seem as good).

I have the Umax Powerlook III and it works fine for 6x6 negs (w/tranny
adapter).  The lab I use outputs direct to real photo paper with the Kodak
L.E.D. printer.  I provide an 8x10 file...and the lab has printed very nice
11x14 prints.  For your web use, the Powerlook III is more than adequate!
Having said that, I would point out that I found the MagicScan software that
comes with the unit to be basically useless for scanning negs.  VueScan
works very well for this, however.

Using the tranny adapter is somewhat frustrating re: dust.  I've found it
necessary to frequently disassemble/clean it.
Otherwise, vertical "tram" lines will begin to randomly appear.  The unit
does not have ICE, so some dust spotting is inevitable.

All in all, I'm quite happy with the unit.

Joyfully,  -david soderman- <><