[filmscanners] RE: Levels Adjustment-Scanner or Photoshop

Howard writes ...

> Is there any benefit of adjusting levels, curves, color etc
> in the scanner software prior to the final scan as opposed
> to later on in Photoshop?  Does adjusting it before the final
> scan avoid the "comblike" effect on the image/histogram that
> you would get from making the adjustment in Photoshop
> after the final scan. ...

  If you are scanning to an 8bit file, it would make a difference and avoid
the histogram "piles" and "dropouts" (i.e., "combing").  That is, the
scanner software would make these adjustments with the scanner's internal
highbits.  If, on the other hand, you scan to a 16bit file it would make
absolutely no difference, and is my preference because PS offers better
(more intuitive) tools ... as well an ability for adjustments based on
selected areas (e.g., underexposed backlit subjects).

cheerios ... shAf  :o)
Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
www.micro-investigations.com (in progress)