[filmscanners] Re: new 4x5 Nikon scanner?

The 35mm strip film holder has slots for two strips, and I find film plane
parallelism better with a strip of film in both (whether I'm scanning both
or not).  I use a blank strip for that purpose.  Nikon supplies a blank
strip to prevent flare, but it's thicker than film and I think may throw
parallelism off.

I dismount slides and tape (stretching) to the smooth side of the grey half
of a Weiss plastic mount, then put that into the slide holder.  I took the
thin aluminum framing mask out of the mount, and the cutout is then
oversized.  Using only half the mount, the film plane is where it should be.

The medium format strip holder takes a little practice, but once you get the
"feel" it's pretty easy to use and gets film flat, except when there's an
unsupported free end near live image area.  The middle of that end tends to
go out of focus, so I try to cut film so the important frame has a little
extra on the free end.  Or one can tape a blank extension to that end if
necessary.

Dave