[filmscanners] Help With Silverfast Color Management

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Help With Silverfast Color Management
  • From: "" <HMSDOC@aol.com>
  • Date: Wed, 15 May 2002 18:20:31 EDT

I have just started trying to learn how to use Silverfast.  Color management
is the current problem:

System:
Windows XP
Photoshop 6.01
Silverfast (most recent version...I believe 5.5) used as Photoshop Plug In
Polaroid Sprintscan 4000 Plus Scanner

What I did:
Set up color management with IT-8 profiling of scanner exactly as per
instructed in the Ian Lyons tutorial and how it is explained in the
Silverfast manual

The Problem:
I found that despite the settings to use the internal IT-8 calibration I
still get 3 lines of color boxes towards the right side of the target, where
the colors are quite pale that come out totally white (and are totally white
based on the eyedropper in PS).  As the prescan comes up it initially seems
to look correct for a second or two but then 'corrects' itself and makes the
right side portion of the three lines white instead of pale colors.  I
recalibrated and still the exact same thing. As an aside, when asked for the
correct reference file I loaded it from the CD as they do not seem to be
loaded into the IT-8 folder in PS.  I don't think this would make a
difference as the program is accessing the correct reference file.

To see what I could find out digging deeper, I went into the ICC color
associations within Windows XP.  I don't know if the Sliverfast scanner
profile is something that is only internally used by Silverfast or whether it
should be associated with the scanner within the Windows XP ICM system.  So I
went and looked at what was associated with the scanner via the control
panel.  It was actually a generic sRGB profile.  So I removed that and put
the Silverfast Polaroid ICC profile in associateion with the scanner under
Windows XP.  Then, thinking I had figured out the problem, went back to
Silverfast, only to find the exact same results, including the correct look
for a split second and then the target bleaching out, particularly in the
area I previously described.  So I played with the settings and changed the
scanner from internal to ICC color management with the Silverfast profile and
still the same results.  The odd thing is that if I use Polaroid Insight
software I get reasonable color without the three white lines...just the
first line white in that area as it visually apears on the slide.

SO....anybody have any ideas about what I am doing wrong or suggestions as to
how to fix it?  Is this an XP thing or am I still not setting something
correctly?  And what ICC profile should I leave associated with the scanner
under the XP control panel when using Silverfast?  What profile to leave
associated when using Insight?

Any and all help appreciated!

Howard
HMSDOC@aol.com