[filmscanners] Re: 3 year wait

Laurie Solomon wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Your information is most helpful. I may write you with more questions
> concerning film recorders, if that is ok with you, once I actually get the
> thing going and get some actual finished products back to examine.

Sounds good to me.

> What I am calling the "lamp" you are more accurrately calling the "CRT;" and
> yes it is a 3 or 3.5 inch CRT as opposed to the 7" ones on the more modern
> recorders, including the HR6000 from what I am told.

Yes, almost.  The HR6000 is a slightly improved model 5000.  It has
the same 3" crt.  It's improvement (at the feature bullet level) is that
it has dynamic focus added for increased sharpness in the corners. I'm
not sure how much distortion there is in the corners, however, when the
tube is only a 3" one.

But anyway, the 3000~6000 were the same "line" with improvements
along the way, but all the same basic design and form-factor. I
had a 6000 briefly (eBay) but returned it because the unit had
an arcing high voltage section which rendered it useless.  That'll
be one of the advantages when I get around to selling my 5000
and 5000s units -- I've actually used them and know they work. :-)

There's a big jump to a brand new design when going to the models
7000 and 8000 (which personally I suspect to be the same hardware
with different firmware to distinguish features in the two).

> I am still in the process of testing it out with film to see what it
> produces and what problems I might face; but I suspect that you are right
> about it being primarily good for presentational graphics more than serious
> images.

Well, the images can be serious, but one might not get
"serious quality" from it.  Unless of course the original is
one of those done a bit soft on purpose.

Mike K.