[filmscanners] RE: Film Recorders (3 year wait)

> Many critical photogs don't think that 35mm is suitable period
> for over 11x14. I tend to agree.

In general, I agree too, but I do print 13x19 B&Ws somewhat frequently from
my 35mm negatives with really no difficulty...but I shoot with Leica and
Contax (Zeiss) when I shoot 35mm, and those are only from very good films
(not Neopan 1600 or Tri-X, but Delta 100 and Plus-X, both developed D-76
1:1).  A very decent scanner helps too, as I scan 35mm at 5080.  I really
only use 35mm for "happy snaps" and convenience, and very low light discrete
work, therefore the images tend to be printed typically from 4x6 (color
only) to 8.5 x 11.  Most any serious work I do with MF.

> Again, I feel that 12-16M "good" pixels is realistic equiv to
> 35mm film. So you can use files of this
> size to pretty closely equal anything that you can with 35mm...

Yes, 16M REAL pixels would be real good, no doubt.  For a 13 x 19 that would
be something like 263 pixels per inch to the printer (assuming ~3.3k x ~5k),
and would be quite good, and I would in fact be happy with that for COLOR,
but not for B&W, unless the sensor was monochrome.  Unfortunately, I fear
that digital will ignore B&W, as it is mostly an artsy endeavor, and
unfortunately, most people are content with converting color to monochrome.
Sigh.

Regards,

Austin