[filmscanners] i1 & Printer Calibration

I have an i1 from GretagMacbeth for today. I am trying to calibrate my
Epson 1200 but have some questions. I would appreciate if somebody
could give me some input. So here is my question.
First I have to print a test target. I then scan this target in. With
these measurements a new printer profile is created. I am a bit
confused what profile I have to use now(PS6.0 Print Options->Show More
Options->ColorManagment->Print Space, that's the correct place,
right?). Basically, it should be the new profile. But that still does
not give me accurate results.
I believe the problem is that when initialy printing the test target a
different profile was used (since I haven't created a new one yet).
Obviously the i1 HW does not know about that profile so it can't figure
out what color translation has been done when I was printing the test
target. So how do I do that correctly? Idealy, I could disable a
profile for printing the test target. Is this possible? If so how?

Here is a practical example:
1) RGB in PS: 34 34 34
2) RGB sent to printer through profile1: 44 44 44
3) RGB should be 40 40 40
4) New profile is created with correction 44-40=4 44-40=4 44-40=4
5) RGB sent to printer through profile2: 34+4=38 34+4=38 34+4=38

But 38 38 38 is wrong. It should be 40 40 40. The error comes because
profile1 is not taken into account.