From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk] On Behalf Of Austin Franklin
Sent: Friday, May 10, 2002 11:51 AM
To: lodaniel@bham.rr.com
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: 3 year wait

> When I say "4K", it means an image of 4096 x 2731, nothing more. My
> film recorder can do 4K or 8K resolution.

I guess that's the root of the issue I have.  It's the same as calling a
monitor X by Y resolution.  Resolution is really not a good word in this
case.  Resolution, in the digital imaging field, means so many
somethings (Ds, Ps, Ss or whatever) per inch.  Inch is a standard unit
of measurement. Apparently in "film recorder speak", the unit of measure
is the long side of a 35mm piece of film (like in monitor speak, it's
the physical size of the monitor)!  Not, in my opinion, a very good
metric.

How does this work between different film formats?  You kind of
discussed this, but didn't give the "terminology".  What if I am
recording a 6x6 with an "8k" film recorder, that gives me 8k over a 6cm
spread, right?  But the same recorder used with 35mm film, gives me 8k
over a 3.6cm spread?  Same film recorder terminology ("8k"), but the
ACTUAL resolution is entirely different (3555 vs 5333).

BTW, thanks for the write-up on film recorders.  Not an item I've ever
been involved with, but certainly interesting to know something about.

Regards,

Austin