From: "James Hamilton" <jameshamilton777@hotmail.com>
To: <anthony@atkielski.com>
Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 15:06
Subject: [filmscanners] 3 year wait

Hello

I've been intending to buy a film scanner for 3 years now. I have a
collection of 3500+ consumer grade negatives (Kodak, Fuji, 100 - 400) and
this grows weekly. Should I buy a filmscanner now or should I wait even
longer for a better iteration of technology :-(

I want to scan the negatives once only as there are so many of them. So I
have to get it right first time. I am scanning for archival purposes, that
means getting every last bit of information out of the negatives.

I don't want to scan everything and find that in fact a 5000 dpi 4.0
scanner released later in the year resolves more detail in the film.
Should I just buy a Nikon 4000 ED or a Polariod 4000+ now?

I have everyhing else, the enormous PC, the file format (JPEG 2000) and the
CD writer.

Any advice appreciated
James