[filmscanners] Cleaning Nikons (was: Re: LS2000 Coolscan shadow noise...)

On 5/3/02 1:42 PM, "doogle@doogle.com" <doogle@doogle.com> wrote:

> There have been posts (recently) re the lower mirror gunk buildup
> causing streaking on comp.periphs.scanners
> Also a general loss in "vibrancy" of images if a general and even
> haze on it.
>
> Ya gotta be very careful cleaning it. Pretty safe to open up and
> look, though, just to see if anything like that visible on mirror.

This talk about dust & schmutz got me worried.  I work in an area frequented
by two cats.  I just opened up my LS4000 to see how much of their fuzz and
dust had drifted into the scanner guts.

After pulling the side panels, I chickened out and did not go any further
with disassembly.  It looks like the mirror assembly is in a black box that
traverses a channel under the film holder (this is with the scanner standing
in vertical orientation).  Without pulling more parts, it would not be easy
for me to get a good look at the mirror, never mind getting access to clean
it.

Has anyone here gone further with take-apart on an LS4000?  Are there any
publically available documents which show the recommended disassembly
method?  Or is this something best left to a service center?

I'm reasonably careful and handy with small tools.  But my 53-year-old eyes
are not as great as they used to be, when working at close distances...

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>