[filmscanners] Re: Nikon LS4000,Kodachrome & sharpness

OK, I have found the problem with the intermittent focus error on the
Sprintscan 120.

Here is the secenario.  I put a strip of three 6X6 Delta 100 negs in the
carrier and scanned the first one using Silverfast.  Absolutely tack sharp.
I turned the strip round so that the first frame was now frame three and
scanned again using SF.  The scan was soft and slightly out of focus.  Tried
resetting the negs in the carrier and scanned again but still soft.

I left the strip in the carrier and the carrier in the scanner (i.e. I did
not touch it in any way) and scanned frame three using Insight.  It was tack
sharp.  I have now recreated this five times with different films etc.

So, the only logical conclusion is that SF is not focusing the SS 120
properly, or at least it is causing intermittent focus errors, perhaps not
having sufficient depth of focus.  Insight is always producing tack sharp
scans and the focus is spot on on every one, regardless of which frame is
being scanned.

I will report this to Polaroid and Lasersoft and see what their response is.

Simon