From: "Alex Zabrovsky" <alexz@zoran.co.il>
To: <kingphoto@mindspring.com>
Sent: Monday, April 22, 2002 5:33 AM
Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Scanner calibration

The NikonScan is configured fro Adobe 98 RGB (Preferences/Color Management
tab) as well the Photoshop.

Well, yesterday evening, for my great disappointment, I revealed that the
strong bluish or to be more precise violet cast I reported previously has
gone just because once struggling with it I had to tweak analog gain on RGB
channels trying to compensate for it, then closing the application the Nikon
software remembered that analog gain setting and automatically loaded it
once the NikonScan has being re-launched, whilst I though it was cleared
off.
That was the reason of the cast disappearing, and not my pervious guesses
about removing monitor profile.
Once I cleared the analog gain settings to 0, the violet cast came back
:-(( driving me crazy again. Playing with that more, I figured out that
switching Nikon CMS off diminishes the cast greatly making it hardly
distinguishable, which means Nikon Color Management caused it with no
relation to monitor profiling at all !
Going further, I switched the Nikon CMS On again and set RGB to be Scanner
RGB instead of my regular Adobe 98 RGB setting in NikonScan, in order to
make the Nikon software not to use the
scanner's ICC profiles embedded into the software - that cured the problem
again removing the cast, but making certain impact on brightness (the image
is a bit darker then).
So I inferred that the reason for this violet cast is Nikon's ICC profile
embedded into their software. (According to the manual, implying Scanner RGB
space in Color Management/RGB tab will dismiss usage of Nikon's ICC profile
in the driver, without need to switch off the whole CMS)

What really confused me is that fact that a few weeks ago, scanning several
rolls of slides and negs with ordinary NikonScan configuration (Nikon CMS is
ON) I haven't noticed any unusual color casting over the image. The only
changed since then is the monitor...
Amy it still be the reason somehow ?

Regards,
Alex Z