[filmscanners] Re: Good scanner for B&W

Joe writes:

> Because at this point I can't afford a scanner
> to scan 4x5 sheet film, I am looking into going
> to a service bureau and getting some sheets
> scanned.

Check your costs carefully.  I considered this for MF film, but it quickly
became obvious that for scans of the quality I wanted, I'd spend the
equivalent of the cost of a new MF scanner of my own on service bureau
scanning charges after only a few rolls!  I don't know if the situation is
better or worse for 4x5 film, but I suspect it still favors having your own
scanner, unless you do only extremely rare scans.

> That being the case, amongst good CCD scanners,
> are there particular ones that convert to B&W
> significantly better? Spring for the primo drum
> scans?

I've gotten nice B&W scans from all my Nikon scanners (all CCD scanners),
with much more dynamic range than I can print.  You can't use ICE on B&W so
you must either develop yourself in order to make sure your negatives are
squeaky clean or find a lab that can guarantee the same.