[filmscanners] Re: 8000ED picture (was My Public Apology)

Tomek writes:

> Anthony, apart from other qualities of this
> picture, I can see Newtonian rings right on
> the Eiffel Tower. Did you notice them?

No, but I see them now.  I've had a lot of trouble with them when using the
glass 120 film holder; however, without the glass holder, the results are
even worse, since it is really hard to keep the 120 film flat without glass
(I could see out-of-focus areas when I used the glassless holder supplied
with the scanner).  I must have blasted the holder and film with a thousand
cubic metres of compressed air while mounting it, but apparently there was
still something there.  However, from the shape of the rings, it doesn't
look like it was just one spot of dust or something; maybe the film bent a
little?  The glass is supposed to be anti-newton, but it is still a major
pain.  Short of doing this all in an operating room or a NASA clean room,
I'm not sure how I'm supposed to get rid of problems like this.

At least it's pretty mild in this case.  I was getting much worse for a
while.  I wish I could find a way to discharge the static from the film as I
remove it from the sleeve, as that probably attracts dust, too.

I haven't used glass holders before on scanners, so this is a new problem
for me.  FWIW, I don't need glass for 35mm slides or negatives, as they seem
to stay flat enough without them.