[filmscanners] Re: Tiresome Arguments Ad Infinitum

No that's not the way. Far better is to use the news readers filter system
in order to eliminate particular threads.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lawrence Smith" <lsmith@lwsphoto.com>
To: <dickbo@btopenworld.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 17, 2002 6:59 PM
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Tiresome Arguments Ad Infinitum

On 4/17/02 1:29 PM, "Todd Flashner" <tflash@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Just when did esoterica become so vulgar in this society? Are we only
"sound
> bite" able now? If something can't be agreed upon quickly it's wasted
time?
> Is AGREEMENT better than truth, understanding, and knowledge? Is
pleasantry
> more important than substance? Questions, questions, so many questions...

Esoterica is fine but when the participants become entrenched and there is
little or no movement in the thread then the time has come to move it
somewhere else or let go.  What kills me is the tendency to want to have the
last word.  It's very annoying. Someone I communicated with off list about
this said they usually try to go off list if there are only 2 or 3 actively
participating in a thread that is clearly going nowhere.  I thought that
made a lot of sense.  It was interesting to hear this as it never seems to
happen in practice.

Lawrence

Lawrence W. Smith Photography
http://www.lwsphoto.com