[filmscanners] Re: Scanning negs vs. slides

As to the first question, I think Anthony touched upon this.

Slides are a final product designed to be projected as massive
enlargements under varied l ambient lighting conditions and varied
illumination levels.  They are projected into a surface which alters the
image from a transmissive for to a reflective one.

Projector screens are typically white or silver, meaning the only black
that exists in the projected image is the area where no light reflects
back from the screen, and if the room is fully dark.  Being that the
lighter areas of the projected image tend to illuminate the screen even
in areas where no lighting is supposed to fall, getting the necessary
contrast is difficult to maintain.  By providing an overly contrasted
image, by the time it gets translated to this viewed format, the result
might begin to represent something approaching the original contrast
levels and densities.

I have been suggesting for some time now that the industry needs to take
a new approach to providing positive films designed just for scanning.
These would have a density and contrast range which is better geared for
CCD scanning.  Since most new consumer labs are using digital/CCD
captures now to produce prints anyway, this film would not only provide
a positive image which provides certain advantages over negatives in
terms of translation to the final print image (a "standardized"
reference image) and the forever bothersome dye masking (yes, I know it
provides more accurate color by correcting for incomplete color
separation filtration in color films) but it could also be used for "at
home or office" scanning  without the many compromises the current crop
of slide films require due to their maximum density and contrast range.

The one thing this film could not be used for is projection, especially
for larger sizes and in less ideal room lighting conditions.

Personally, any of my images that are regularly projected get duped
anyway, and it seems a second generation transparency could be produced
using slide or duping films which brought the density and contrast back up.

I think its time for me to have a another little talk with Fuji....

Art