[filmscanners] Re: Scanning negs vs. slides

My answer to your original question would be negs always, if only because
of the latitude/captured info range.  12 stops of info is a lot more than
the 5 stops range you've got on slides, and at night you (me, I mean) need
all the range you can get.  Night exposure is for me largely guesswork, so
I use negs and scan the whole lot into hi-bit, then extract what I was
aiming to get in Photoshop.

As for Tony's comment about CCD noise, I'd assume he is saying that the
dark areas on the film are where you get CCD noise problems (appearing as
unwanted speckles in hi-density areas); at night you have lots of dark
scene areas, so better to use negs where the dark scene areas record (in
negative) as bright areas on film.  In which case - no CCD noise in the
scene shadows, as you would get with slides.

Cheers

Julian