[filmscanners] RE: Scanning negs vs. slides

> > ... in my experience if you find a subject which
> > is low contrast (studio lighting or landscapes at
> > the right time of day are my examples) there is
> > something about a slide that is particularly enticing ...
>
> That something is the finer gradation of tones between similar tones,

That is not true.  Slide film has a lower dynamic range (which loosely
translates into the number of tones the film can capture...it's a little
more involved than that, but that's the basics of it) than negative film,
therefore negative film gives you more tonality.

> and
> the more natural overall contrast (something that was two stops darker in
> real life is also very nearly two stops darker on the slide).

Slide film has a larger DENSITY range than negative film.  Slides DO have
more contrast for a number of reasons.  One is that they have a lower
dynamic range...second is because the have a higher density range, and three
is because they have a smaller exposure latitude.

Austin