[filmscanners] RE: Some findings/thoughts on the Sprintscan 120 (comments verywelcome please)

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] RE: Some findings/thoughts on the Sprintscan 120 (comments verywelcome please)
  • From: "Lloyd O'Daniel" <lodaniel@bham.rr.com>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 04:07:37 -0500

I have the SS4000, but I have access to a friend's SS120. Your
experience does not mirror his or mine. We both actually prefer Insight
to Silverfast for routine scans, although we primarily scan chromes. The
only negs I've done on his machine are circa 1980 Kodacolor and VPS
645's. In that case, I did raw scans there and did the processing here
with Silverfast HDR or Photoshop. Results were very good. Have you tried
Silverfast?

If/when I can afford it, I might go for a Flextight Photo as well. They
are considered a cut above, and priced accordingly. The only caveats I
have with that scanner are I believe you have to unmount 35mm slides and
cut negs individually or into very short strips. From a film handling
and storing viewpoint for me, that would be a headache.

Lloyd