[filmscanners] Re: Re:GRAIN/ICESHOWDOWN:NikonLS8000vs.MinoltaScanMulti Pro!

On 4/13/02 6:22 PM, "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com> wrote:

>> As others have noted, NS frequently chops off
>> shadow detail - you can see this as abrupt cuts on
>> the left side of the histograms.
>
> How do you know that this is not clear film (for negatives) or maximum
> density (for transparencies)?

The file saved from NikonScan has a smooth histogram above a certain bin, a
high value in that bin, and nothing below it.  If I scan the same film with
VueScan, the histogram has a smooth tapered tail on the left side.  I made
these comparisons using the histogram display in the Photoshop levels tool.

If I remember right, this happens mostly with negs, but I have not used
NikonScan regularly for a while, so I could be wrong.

> I have found with the LS-8000ED that shadows that appear to be completely
> black actually _do_ have quite a bit of detail hidden within them, if I
> lighten them up enough.

Yes, sometimes it's quite surprising.  It's fun to scan shots from years ago
that I considered to be botch jobs, and rehabilitate them by yanking curves
in Photoshop.  I made a simple page to show some friends of mine a demo of
this digital voodoo.

<http://julianv.home.mindspring.com/phun/phun1.html>

--
Julian Vrieslander <julianv@mindspring.com>