[filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000vs.MinoltaScanMulti Pro!

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000vs.MinoltaScanMulti Pro!
  • From: "Roger Smith" <rsmith@unb.ca>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2002 14:22:15 -0300

At 4:48 AM -0700 4/10/02, Arthur Entlich wrote:
>     Now, here's were I'm having problems.  What the heck is it that
>Minolta is doing which makes their scans so revealing of DDSG (dust,
>dirt, scratches and grain) when they are using a cold cathode based
>lighting source?

        I can't answer that question, but on a related matter, I have
a small article on Michael Reichmann's 'Luminous Landscape' website.
It describes my experiments to track down the source of the fine
black speckles ('pepper grain') seen in some high resolution scans,
particularly with scanners like the Minoltas. There are some
explanatory photographs, including the film-base bubbles that I
believe are responsible for the pepper grain effect.

        http://luminous-landscape.com/fuji-pepper.htm

        My piece is at the end of Nick Rains' informative article on
'pepper grain'.

Regards,
Roger Smith