[filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000vs.Minolta ScanMulti Pro!

It would be great if David S could submit these comparative images to
Minolta and ask if they are generating noise through sharpening in the
scanner.  I just looked at them under PS and manipulated them using various
sharpening methods and you do seem to have a point about this being noise
and not grain.

I am awaiting my replacement Multi Pro but this comparison is making me have
doubts if that much noise will be generated in images.

Perhaps David can confirm he was scanning in both scanners at 3200ppi (so
that the Minolta would not be using interpolation at 4800), that the negs
were scanned reasonably close together in time (since the marks suggest they
were not), what the film type was and what the various scanner software
settings were.

I have definitely found that my negs scanned with much less noise/grain
using Vuescan rather than the Minolta software, and that multisampling
helped greatly.

I hope we can get further down this investigative track before I accept
delivery of my replacement Multi Pro.

Simon