[filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000 vs.Minolta ScanMulti Pro!

  • To: lexa@lexa.ru
  • Subject: [filmscanners] Re: GRAIN/ICE SHOWDOWN: Nikon LS8000 vs.Minolta ScanMulti Pro!
  • From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
  • Date: Sun, 07 Apr 2002 10:44:54 +0100

I too prefer the post ICE Minolta images.  The Minolta seems to be picking
up more information from the film as can be seen on the first scans.  There
are imperfections that the Nikon has not picked up that the Minolta clearly
shows.  As Art said, the Minolta is scanning at 4800ppi so it may be worth
doing the comparison at 4000dpi for both scanners.

I does seem as though there is some sharpening happening in the Minolta
scanner even though it is set to off in the options.

I would prefer the Minolta as it seems to be capturing more detail.  I would
rather have more detail and be able to do something about it (such as
defocusing a bit) rather than not have the detail to work with at all.

Simon