[filmscanners] Re: Help with Vuescan?

Titus Tucan wrote:

>Dear Arthur I agree with you, if we want to print, or save an image as JPG,
>we have to convert it to 8 bit, but there is something I do not understand.
>If at the end we convert the image to 8 bit because printing devices cannot
>beneficiate from the 16 bit depth what's the use of scanning in 16 bit?
>Wouldn't an image scanned with 8 bit colour depth be the same with an image
>scanned at16 bit and converted in PS at 8 bit?
>Or in other words what are the advantages of scanning in 16 bit?

When scanning in 8 bit mode the scanner will automatically choose the
"best" 8 bits from the available 10 (or 12 or 14 or 16, depends on the
scanner). In most cases this is fine but for best results the image
should be scanned in 16bit mode because:
1) Manually adjusting the levels in Photoshop will allow a better
conversion to the 8 bit mode.
2) If the image has very high contrasts (e.g. bright sky and deep
shadows) it's possible to use Photoshop to correct one copy of the 16bit
image so that the shadows will look good, and apply different
corrections to another copy of the 16 bit image so the sky will look
good. Convert each image to 8bit mode and paste them together with a
mask made such that you see the shadows from copy 1 and the sky from
copy 2. Lots of detail in the shadows and a nice sky (non saturated
colors).

Get a good Photoshop book and check out this web site for more info:
http://www.scantips.com