[filmscanners] Re: Minolta Scan Multi Pro (was focus problems)

Preston Earle wrote:

> At 10:09 AM -0600 3/20/02, david/lisa soderman wrote: "Images from
> scanned negs are extremely grainy" and "Meanwhile, the Scan Multi Pro
> has rougher, grainy skin."
>
> "Roger Smith" <rsmith@unb.ca> added: "It sounds similar to what I get
> with my Minolta Scan Dual II."
>

> Yup, mine too. I started filtering everything for "light" grain
> reduction in VueScan and quit worrying. That seems to get the grain to
> acceptable levels without softening the image too much. I don't sharpen
> in the scanner.
>
> Preston Earle
> PEarle@triad.rr.com

The point Roger and I are making is that you may be sharpening in the
scanner and not knowing it.  SOme scanners are sharpening even when the
sharpening software is set to zero.  I am trying to find out which do
this, and by how much.  Based upon the light source in the Minolta
Scanners, the exaggerated grain, dirt, dust and scratches, makes me
wonder what's going on.  Typically, the cold cathode type lighting
diminishes these things rather than exaggerates them.

Art