[filmscanners] Re: Focus problem on Minolta Scan Multi Pro

On 18/3/02 6:28 am, "Arthur Entlich" <artistic-1@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Simon Lamb wrote:
>

>> I think this is a faulty unit and I am not sure, if this is the quality from
>> Minolta, that I want to swap for another unit.  I had a Coolscan LS30 for
>> four years and never had a problem at all.
>>
>> Well, thanks for all your help Denis.  I think I will give up now and decide
>> whether to spring for the LS8000 or try another Scan Multi Pro.
>

> Simon,
>
> I don't know how long you have been reading this list, but if it has
> been for any length of time the one thing you should probably have
> gathered is that pretty much every manufacturer has had some level of
> either design errors or quality control problems with their film scanners.
>
> The big questions, therefore, after the actual scanning quality are, did
> the manufacturer acknowledge the problems (hardware, firmware, software,
> or any combo thereof), or advocate for you to have the problems
> corrected, how common were the problems, how long did it take to correct
> them, did they learn from their mistakes on newer versions, etc.
>
> If you look at the archives of this list and histories of the product
> lines, you will discover some patterns. Pay attention to people who have
> returned or exchanged their scanners either for the same model or
> another and how the situations have resolved.
>
> There aren't all that many companies producing medium format film
> scanners.  Do some more research before making a final decision.  Make
> sure you aren't jumping from the frying pan and into the fire.

Art

I presume you are referring to moving to the LS8000 which may well have the
same, if not more and worse, problems.  Am I correct in that assumption?  I
think I may try the Minolta one more time anyway but your advice would be
welcomed.

Thanks.

Simon