[filmscanners] Re: Umax Powerlook III any good?

At 02:11 PM 3/16/2002 -0500, Todd Flashner wrote:
>I'm considering the purchase of a used Umax Powerlook III, and I'd love to
>hear from anyone who has one what they do or don't like about it. I will be
>getting one with a transparency adapter but mostly for reflective scans and
>making contact sheets, as I already have a good film scanner.
>
>Is the max scan size of the transparency adapter sufficient for 35mm
>contacts using 6 rows of 6 frames PrintFile sleeves?
>
>Overall, how's the hardware, how's the software? Likes, dislikes???

I used to have a Powerlook III.  It was far better than the Epson 1640 I
replaced it with, despite the Epson's higher resolution.  Good detail in
the shadows, very smooth scans.

The downside of the Powerlook III for me was the film holders.  I made my
own as I found the ones that came with the scanner to be useless.

The software is pretty good (better than the Epson software) but not as
good as Polacolor Insight or Silverfast, both of which I use with a
filmscanner.  But for the purposes you mention, it's probably OK.  Mine
came packaged with Binuscan, which I found useful for quick stuff for the
web but not much else.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/