From: filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk
[mailto:filmscanners_owner@halftone.co.uk]On Behalf Of
TonySleep@halftone.co.uk
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2002 6:46 AM
To: david_bookbinder@sprynet.com
Subject: [filmscanners] Re: Making contact sheets on a flatbed scanner

On Fri, 8 Mar 2002 10:13:25 -0700  Bill Fernandez
(bill_sub@billfernandez.com) wrote:

> Microtek makes a number of scanners with an 8 x 10 transparency bed,
> and will scan negatives and do the inversion and orange mask removal
> for you,  but the transparency bed is on a tray inside the scanner so
> you can't leave the negs in their acetate sleeves.

They do indeed, and I've seen printed scans of 5x4 from the 8700 which were
 excellent. However I want to be able to use the top half of a Paterson
35mm contact frame in the drawer, as it has plastic grippers which overlap
adjacent strips and gets 6x strips of 6negs onto a 10x8" sheet. However
I've been unable to find out whether the 8700 (or any other) will cope with
the 6mm or so thickness of the frame+glass sandwich.

However the 8700 is 680GBP, so OTT anyway. As are all scanners I've found
capable of >5x4 transparency scanning.

I keep saying this : if some mfr would make a dedicated low-res (600ppi)
contact printing scanner, capable of 6 strips on 10x8, or 4 @3 6x6 etc,
they'd sell shedloads if the price was reasonable - say $300US. Nobody
needs wonderful quality contacts, just reasonable colour and capable of 2x
enlargement. David??! I'd buy one tomorrow!

Regards

Tony Sleep
http://www.halftone.co.uk - Online portfolio & exhibit; + film scanner info
& comparisons