[filmscanners] Re: Is Minolta's Scan dual II a good buy?

on 3/3/02 12:21 AM, Arthur Entlich at artistic-1@shaw.ca wrote:

> Berry Ives wrote:
>

>> Mine had to be sent back, but it was purchased prior to June, 2001.
>

> Berry, can you elaborate on this statement?  What was wrong with the
> first one?  Was it replaced or repaired?  What is the significance of
> the June, 2001 date, or are you just suggesting the early units were
> perhaps more problematic than newer ones?
>
> Art

> body

Art, here is the relevant info quoted from my letter to Minolta:

1st return letter:
"On April 2, 2001, I talked to your Digital Repair customer service
representative about a problem I was having with this scanner, which I
purchased on February 5, 2001.  I was instructed to return it for repair or
replacement.

"The scanner did not exhibit any problems for the first approximately 20
scans.  Then a thin line appeared across the width (long dimension) of the
image, about an inch away from one edge of an 8x10 image and parallel to the
edge.  The line has a cyan cast.  I have enclosed a print that exhibits the
problem.  The line is also visible on my monitor.

2nd return letter:
"A few weeks ago, this scanner was returned to you under warranty.  The
scanner was then shipped back to me.  Unfortunately, the scanner still has
the identical problem it had before.

"A thin line appears across the width (long dimension) of the image, about
an inch away from one edge of an 8x10 image and parallel to the edge.  The
line has a cyan cast.  I have enclosed a print that exhibits the problem.
The line is also visible on my monitor when I bring the images up in
Photoschop.  I see this line on scans of negatives and slides scanned at the
highest resolution.

"I was disappointed that a check of the scanner¹s performance either did not
occur, or else it failed to detect that the problem was still present.  It
is possible that the problem is intermittant in nature, since one of my test
scans failed to reproduce the problem.  However, I did a few other tests and
the problem appeared on all of them.

The whole process took about 6 weeks.

The final packing slip indicated that they replaced the main circuit, image
block, and scan lamp.  The problem has not reoccurred.

The only reason I mentioned the June 2001 date is that it was mentioned in
the posting that I responded to.  I don't know what may have changed at that
time.

Berry