[filmscanners] Re: Cleaning LS2000 optic?

"Joe B." schrieb:

> I am passing my LS2000 on to my daughter but i want it to be in good
> order before I do so, and I've noticed it flares visibly with some
> scans- I assume the lens needs cleaning.

Hi, Joe,

is this especially in the areas of high contrasts such as sudden
white-black transitions, and is the effect stronger with slides than
with negatives? If yes, you've run into the "halo" issue I've raised
here before. I have seen this on four scanners so far - my old Nikon
LS-30, the two Minolta Scan Elite II units I had to return due to the
banding issue, and the Nikon LS-40 I am using right now. It is not
dependent on scanner age. I have two assumptions as to the reasons, the
first being CCD sensor crosstalk, the second being diffraction due to
the "structure" (change in thickness) you find with the dye layers of
slide film.

Cleaning the optics wouldn't help if either of my assumptions is
correct.

Best regards -

Ralf

--
My animal photo page on the WWW: http://schmode.net
Find my PGP keys (RSA and DSS/DH) on PGP key servers